When posting on social media, here are some things to keep in mind:
- Remember the cause. Tell potential sponsors about the cause behind the event and they will be more willing to donate.
- Tell your personal story. Tell your sponsors the reason why you support Big Brothers Big Sisters. Let them know about the amazing outcomes and personal experiences you may have had with BBBS or your own mentor. Click here for some helpful photos and flyers to share online.
- Thank your donors. Tell your donors how much you appreciate them, by publicly thanking them on social media to generate buzz. Make sure to include your Personal Page URL, to direct people to your webpage.
If social media isn’t your thing, there are plenty of other creative ways to fundraise, such as planning a unique fundraiser! A lot of teams have success by hosting fundraisers for friends, family or at their workplace. Consider some of these ideas:
- Partner with a local business. Hold a happy hour or trivia night, and invite your friends, family, and coworkers. Create team T-shirts to sell or even have a silent auction.
- Use your skills and resources. If you need to purge, host a garage sale! If cooking or baking is your thing, host a bake sale, a backyard BBQ where you bring donations instead of a side dish or sell breakfast burritos or ice cream sundaes at work.
- Work with your company. Ask your HR Director or Office Manager if your company participates in a Company Match program. If so, your donation will go even further. Usually, it’s a simple form that you fill out and bring with your pledge sheet the day you bowl.
- Create an incentive for donating. Event participants have done crazy antics to reach their goal, such as shaving a mohawk, posting embarrassing childhood photos on social media, holding a raffle, or getting dunked in a dunk tank.
We know fundraising can be hard work. That’s why we like to celebrate and reward our top fundraisers. Check out some of the different ways you can earn prizes:
- Surpass your Individual Fundraising Goal. Go above and beyond your $200 individual fundraising goal and receive an additional prize, like a tumbler, duffle cooler, or Bluetooth speaker! Prizes are awarded based on the fundraising level you reach and aren’t cumulative.
- Show your Team Spirit. Get dressed up, get excited, put your game faces on, and your team might walk away with special prizes!
- Become the King or Queen of the Alley. At each bowling session, we will crown the top individual fundraiser while they sit atop their official Bowl for Kids’ Sake throne.
- Become a Super Team. Teams that double their goal and raise $2,400 are treated to special VIP treatment at their lane and get invited to the exclusive Super Team Party in August. Enjoy free food, drink, casino games and live entertainment, and get entered to win a free team trip to Vegas!
In the end, it’s all about the kids. All donations stay right here in Kansas City and help Big Brothers Big Sisters support over 1,300 active Matches, and create new life-changing friendships. That’s why I bowl for Kids’ Sake!
It’s not too late to sign up! We need our support to reach our goal of raising $800,000 this summer so that we can match some of the 483 kids currently on our wait list. To register online go to www.summerbowl.org and click “Form Team.”