Big Brothers Big Sisters of Kansas City values diversity, and no person will be denied equal opportunity to volunteer because of race, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. When we make a Match, preferences, fit, and similarity of interests are all taken into consideration. As part of the matching process, we will disclose such information to the Little’s parent/guardian. BBBSKC will work to find a Little who we believe will be a good match for you.
Do you enroll LGBTQ+ volunteers and children into the BBBS program?
- Absolutely! We have volunteers and children of every sexual orientation, identity, background, and culture that is out there. All volunteers and children go through the same application and orientation process.
Do you accept same sex couples as Big Couple volunteers? Do you accept unmarried couples as Big Couple volunteers?
- Yes, same sex couples are welcome to sign up as Big Couples. We just ask that all Big Couples have been in a long-term relationship for at least 2 years at the time of their application.
Can same sex couples be matched to a child of a different gender?
- We typically match Big Sisters with Little Sisters and Big Brothers with Little Brothers, but talk to your Enrollment & Matching Specialist if you want to talk through a specific scenario.
What if the parent of my Little isn’t ok with my sexuality?
- We go through an extensive enrollment and interview process when enrolling Bigs, Littles, and families. Our enrollment teams specifically ask parents for their personal preferences that they have when finding a match for their child. Parents have the opportunity to tell us at that time what they are looking for in a potential Big for their Little. Additionally, before we make a match between a Big and a Little, both parties have the opportunity to tell our staff if they think it would be a match that works for them.
How do you handle matching gender fluid Bigs with a same gender Little?
- We always work directly with the volunteer, parent, and child to make the best match. We typically match girls with Big Sisters and boys with Big Brothers, but will address specific situations on a case by case basis. Feel free to talk to your Enrollment & Matching Specialist about any thoughts or feelings you have about the Little that you think you would relate best to.
Could I be matched to an LGBTQ+ child specifically because I wish I had had that support system as a child?
- Yes! When matching Bigs and Littles, we want to find the best possible match for everyone. When you are going through the interview process, talk to your Enrollment & Matching Specialist about who you think you’d make a great Big for, and we will see who is available to be matched with you.
If I identify with a gender but have not transitioned yet, can I be matched with the gender I identify with?
- We always want to make the best match possible. We work with Bigs, Littles, and families on a case by case basis to find who that match would be. Work with your Enrollment & Matching Specialist on any preferences or questions you have regarding who you are matched to. The family and Big are final decision makers on who they think would make the best match for them.
Can an LGBTQ+ Volunteer attend events geared towards the LGBTQ+ community with their Little?
- We just ask that all events and activities are run by the parent before planning them. You can always work with your Enrollment & Matching Specialist to find out any boundaries parents have with activities at the beginning of the match.