DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION AT BBBSKC
OUR STATEMENT AND COMMITMENTS
Big Brothers Big Sisters Kansas City (BBBSKC) believes that diversity, equity and inclusion are essential parts of our mission to defend potential for kids in our community. We strive to embrace true representation in our brand, diversity of people and perspectives, and inclusion in all areas of our organization so we can make a generational impact on our community through life-changing friendships.
Genuine diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts come from not just words, but actions. In an effort to hold ourselves and others accountable, we are announcing new and ongoing commitments to create an inclusive culture and pledge to do more to support our staff, Littles, families and the greater community.
We recognize that we can do more and that change won’t happen overnight, but we’re in this for the long haul — we want the work we do to create a lasting, positive impact. We welcome feedback on how we can be better. Please reach out to anyone on our Executive Leadership Team (contact info below) to share your thoughts.
Our commitments and work to-date include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Carrying out our mission of matching Bigs and Littles in long term, life-changing friendships.
- Continue to bridge gaps and bring people of different backgrounds together.
- Supporting Matches with conversations, education, resources, and training from the moment of acceptance into the program until the conclusion of the Match.
- Welcoming and intentionally recruiting volunteers and children of all races, gender identities and sexual orientations into our program.
- Commitment of the BBBSKC Executive Team, Leadership Team, and entire staff to be intentional about infusing and prioritizing DEI in every project and interaction that our teams carry out.
- Partner with DEI consultant Dionne King for a full assessment and the development of a long-term DEI strategic plan.
- Regularly seek out new perspectives on our DEI efforts through surveys, listening sessions, small groups, etc.
- Intentionally and strategically recruit and promote diverse staff and board members.
- Empower three full-time Brand Ambassadors dedicated to cultivating our reputation and relationships in all communities.
- Prioritize establishing long-term partnerships with female and minority-owned businesses and organizations including providing them with paid interns at no cost to them.
- Prioritize working with vendors that are minority and women owned.
- Designate funds to assess, inform, and strengthen our DEI efforts through training, events, and community engagement.
- Partner with our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Advisory Board and reaffirm its central role in the work that we do and aspire to do.
- Research and implement additional policies focused on diversity, inclusion and belonging to create a more inclusive workplace culture.
- Steward and enhance our staff mentorship program among staff to cultivate talent and create a safe space for all employees to be heard and developed.
- Develop and execute ongoing DEI education curriculum for staff.
- Continue to provide a staff hotline to express concerns safely and confidentially.
- Promote our system to provide on-going anonymous feedback and questions to our CEO.
- Commit to exceptional representation and inclusion in marketing materials through feedback sessions, inclusive design, and ongoing evaluation.
- Engage in professional, local, and national DEI programs to learn and evolve as an agency.
- Ensure that the sponsors, partners, and donors that we work with are aligned with our core values.
- Utilize internal “Allies” staff committee to produce innovative ways to support, educate, and involve our staff in DEI efforts.
- Hold ourselves accountable to make progress, track that progress, and communicate that progress to our staff, board, and community.
CONTACT INFORMATION OF EXECUTIVE STAFF:
Chief Executive Officer 816.777.2888
Chief Operating Officer 816.777.2880
Chief Development Officer 816.777.2872
Chief Program Officer 816.777.2875
Chief Marketing Officer 816.777.2871
Chief People & Finance Officer 816.777.2585
BBBSKC does not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member), or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.