Project: Girls On The Rise Application
For the 2019-2020 school year, five college-bound Little Sisters will be selected to receive up to $1,000 each to fund college visits during their senior year of high school.
Project: Girls on the Rise (PGOTR) is a 1,000 Dreams Fund (1DF) program launched in 2016 in partnership with Big Brothers Big Sisters Kansas City to help high potential high school women in need reach their college dreams. In 2018, PGOTR expanded to four additional cities, serving college-bound young women selected by partnering BBBS agencies. The 1,000 Dreams Fund provides $1,000 microgrants to participating students to help fund those critical college visits and college-bound costs so young women with bright minds and bright futures can find that perfect school and thrive. In total, over 30 young women have visited over 15 states to find their best-fit school.
PGOTR students are required to:
- Attend 2-3 virtual workshops/video conference calls during the 2019-2020 school year.
- Complete an online interview and provide a headshot to the 1,000 Dreams Fund.
- Provide receipts to the 1DF after college visits when PGOTR funds are used.
- Complete follow-up interviews with the 1DF about college visit experiences and future plans.
- Complete a Student Agreement Form and sign a 1DF media release form.
- Applicants must be enrolled as a Little in the Big Brothers Big Sisters Kansas City program.
- Applicants must be a senior in high school during the 2019-2020 school year.
- Applicants must be college-bound and plan to attend a higher education institution in Fall 2020.
Applications are due by May 31.
To apply, students must complete an application and write a personal essay. Students must also have their Big Sister and their BBBS Case Manager fill out a reference form about them. (Links to references provided below.)
Personal Essay: Please write a short essay (approximately 500 words) describing your college and career goals, and explaining how funding from Project: Girls on the Rise will help you go on college visits and reach your goals.
Big Reference: Please send this link to your Big Sister so she can fill out a reference about you: https://www.bbbskc.org/girlsontherise-bigsister
BBBS Case Manager Reference: Please send this link to your BBBS Case Manager to fill out a reference about you: https://www.bbbskc.org/girlsontherise-casemanager
Student application & essay, Big Sister reference, and Case Manager reference must all be submitted by May 31 to be considered as a 2019-2020 Girl on the Rise!
Questions? Contact Meryl Dillman at [email protected].