Become a Part of Our Team
One of the most rewarding ways to get involved with Big Brothers Big Sisters is to work with us. A career with Big Brothers Big Sisters is an opportunity to merge your talents and personal values with your desire to make a difference. Every day, we are changing the perspectives of children and enabling them to see the world around them in a more positive light. With that newfound point of view, they can see their potential more clearly and dream bigger about their future. Our success is a result of committed and inspired employees, working together to make a lasting impact on America's youth, schools, and communities.
An Opportunity for Growth
That's obviously true for the children we serve. But it's also true within our organization. We need talented and passionate people in a variety of areas including Executive Leadership, Fund Development, Program Management, Marketing and Communications, Human Resources, Finance, and Information Technology. Every day, We are committed to a diverse workforce with representation from every walk of life. We recognize how our organization is greatly enhanced when we unite people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Kansas City offers a flexible work environment that is upbeat and fun. The average tenure of BBBSKC staff is 6 years. BBBSKC was named by NP Times as one of the best nonprofits to work for. BBBSKC offers competitive pay and benefits for full-time employees.
We value overall wellness and offer a comprehensive benefits package, including generous time off, medical, dental, and vison insurance options, as well as a rewards program and a 401k match option. Scroll down to see our current openings.
The Administrative Assistant position is a full-time, non-exempt position and reports to the Chief Operating Officer and serves as the first point of contact for all visitors, vendors, potential volunteers and clients. This position is responsible for providing excellent customer service through living the mission of BBBSKC with every interaction. The Administrative Assistant is a problem solver role and requires flexibility and adaptation in a fast-paced environment.
Show DetailsHide Details
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide exceptional customer service to all internal and external customers
- Serve as primary agency receptionist and point of contact for all in office visitors and callers
- Responsible for opening and closing the office each day
- Responsible for ensuring a clean, welcoming environment (organized, clean, stocked, etc.)
- Assist with planning and coordinating logistics for board meetings, staff meetings, committee meetings, lunch and learns and BBBS events
- Create and mail weekly tax letters, distribute meeting materials, set up rooms for events/meetings, coordinate hospitality and office supplies and other tasks related to meeting the needs of the organization
- Assist with ordering and maintaining all office equipment and supplies, including phone systems, copier/fax, postage machine, ordering office related supplies, and coordination of all such vendor contracts
- Provide administrative support to the Executive staff as needed
- Work with operations staff to identify and address any office/vendor needs
- Manage daily mail process including routing mail, preparing cash and check log for donations, and other payments/expense distributions as received
- Manage the online website chat feature to engage with individuals visiting our website who need to ask questions
- Assist potential volunteers by answering questions in person, over the phone and/or online and signing them up for volunteer info sessions
- Assist the COO in handling all tasks associated with facility management
- Take supporters and guests on office tours
- Assist in providing a welcoming environment that supports a positive culture within the office
- Additional duties as assigned
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum of two years of administrative duties or a combination of education and two years of customer service experience
- High school diploma or equivalent required, associates degree encouraged but not required
- Experience or comfortability working with technology preferred (Microsoft Office, Excel, Salesforce, etc.)
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks and competing time demands
- Excellent organizational, customer service and interpersonal skills
BBBSKC is the fastest growing Big Brothers Big Sisters agency in the nation, nearly doubling the size of our staff and number of children served within the past 10 years. We are proud to offer competitive pay, a generous benefits package, ample vacation days, and a fun office environment where the average tenure for staff is nine years. Management believes in helping our staff members learn and grow, offering professional development opportunities whenever applicable. We also believe in the work hard, play hard motto as we plan quarterly staff outings where we step away from our day-to-day operations and focus on connecting as a team. This position is based in our beautiful, newly renovated Crossroads office (which happens to include a rooftop party deck) and auxiliary office next door. As a member of the BBBSKC team there will be an expectation to participate in some evening and weekend events.
STARTING SALARY RANGE
30,000 – 32,000 depending on qualifications ($14.42 – $15.38 per hour)
If you qualify for this position and are passionate about our mission and our staff culture, we look forward to meeting you.
If you have questions, please contact:
Kimberly Rudler, Vice President of HR & Culture
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Kansas City
Online applications are preferred; if that is not an option you may send your resume and cover letter to:
BBBSKC, Attn: Kimberly Rudler, 1709 Walnut Kansas City, MO 64108.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
BBBSKC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
BBBSKC is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
STANDING TOGETHER TO DEFEND POTENTIAL
In a world of causes, we make a difference by creating professionally supported, one-to-one Matches for kids who want to realize their full potential. Big Brothers Big Sisters professionally creates and supports these Matches. Over 1,300 Matches (Bigs & Littles) get together every week in Kansas City. Research proves that children enrolled in BBBSKC programs are more likely to improve in school and in their relationships with family and friends and are less likely to skip school or use illegal drugs or alcohol. BBBSKC has been recognized as a leader in the non-profit industry and in the national BBBS network; winning the National BBBS Large Agency of the Year and Gold Standard Award in 2011, 2013, 2015 and 2017. Other awards include Ingram’s Magazine & KC Magazine’s Best Non-Profit and the Non Profit Times Best Non Profit to Work For in America. Our mission and reputation attract a very talented pool of employees and our culture helps us retain that talent.